Understanding the moods, colors, fabrics and patterns behind a trend gives you the confidence to purchase key pieces and bring the look to life.
How it feels: Like slipping into a breezy and youthful T-shirt dress with chunky track sneakers and heading out to the boardwalk or skatepark. Plan to stay all day and re-energize so bring an oversized hoodie for the chill factor.
Can you dig that? We thought so. While this trend is heavily influenced by what was supposed to be the upcoming Olympic Games in Tokyo (now rescheduled due to the COVID-19 emergency), we are committed to the energy and zest this trend offers and it’s pretty much the antidote we need (think bright colors and punchy patterns).
This trend brings the promise of a new day as we springboard into two new sports slated to enter the competition, skateboarding and surfing. The new activities deliver a strong impact on youth culture and street style with a carefree, easygoing lifestyle. Watch how we take two disciplines and key wardrobe items and launch them into more elevated aesthetics.
If you’ve forever aligned with functionality and simplicity, now is your time. There’s hints of street culture and cool girl casualness that sting when you see it (because it works so well). It’s super inclusive and a place to hone your skills when it comes to beach chic.
Bring the trend’s colors into play with shades that seem alive! Golden Yellow is a sunflower yellow to be exact. It has a warming effect when you wear it. It’s the color that signals summer’s warm embrace that’s at once earthy, sensual and sun-soaked.
Cactus Green is a darker shade of green-cyan and has a visual bite to it. It’s vivid, fierce and is the ultimate motivator. It’s an ideal match for crisp whites for that cooler-than-you contrast.
There’s a strong pull with Cherry Pop. It says “I’m in charge,” and nobody argues with it. It’s brave, confident and demands your attention. It’s like wearing a cape, powerful and dangerous all at once.
When it comes to where you’ll find or create this movement, look to stretchy nylons and beachy wet suit looks with neoprene including zippers for a functional and funky visual. It’s also about glow in the dark hues that speak to the neon city lights. Whimsical scribble prints and doodle-inspired patterns as well as geometric blocks and the forever-summer and vacation vibe of tropical florals round out the category.
Now that you have a feel for the spirit of this trend, key garments and accessories can help you pull the style together and look legit (run along posers). Cling to the following items to streamline the trend:
- Track sneakers that are sporty, dad-sneakers with an adventurous profile.
- Functional sling bags in perky colors with patches, pins and logos.
- Bucket hats with strings for a secure fit with small or exaggerated visors.
- Oversized hoodies with a borrowed-from-the-boys feel with a longer silhouette.
- T-shirt dresses that are a bit tomboy in midi or mini lengths are a great spot for logos and graphics to land.
- Extra chunky aviators tell small sunnies to hit the road. Lean toward solid blacks or tortoise shell styles for a little retro appeal.
- Pyjama shorts usher in laid-back sensibilities. Look for high-waisted fits and quirky prints.
- The Hawaiian shirt life means this print is your blood type. Tropical florals and beach scenes rule along with a slightly oversized fit that you can tuck into your denim mini skirt.